Tuesday, October 04, 2005

DC, Martha, and Probably Sex

Can anyone tell me why it takes thirteen years to create a blog? It always rejects my blogging address, even when I write things so bizarre not even Anna Nicole Smith could understand them. Ah, cheap shots, I love 'em.
I have no particular topic today other than my struggles to stay grounded in something resembling reality. Classical music helps in that department, as does avoiding the television. I think it's a good thing my friends killed The Cable Monster, because no doubt the federal government uses it as a brain-washing tool! To infect our very minds in order to make us more sheep-like than we already are, people!
Ah ha, gotcha, I ain't THAT paranoid. Although I admire those who are truly inhabitants of the dark side, in a strange way, people who have checked out, if you know what I mean. It beats hellacious commutes and the everyday stresses of modern life, I'm sure.
Speaking of, I lived in the DC area for over five years, and in that fair city learned the meaning of being a modern person. Basically it involves pain. I endlessly commuted, I avoided the sniper who terrorized the metro DC region, I was there when 9-11 hit, the whole bit. Not that commuting is in line with those other things, but you get the picture. I spent many hours on the Metro (possibly the worst in the country: it is very slow, constantly single-tracking, and apparently always being repaired) watching other humans, which as a writer comes fairly naturally. People are endlessly fascinating.
I also sensed some very sad things. One time I sat down next to a pretty big black dude who I had the bizarre feeling everyone was avoiding because, as we all know, black men are criminals! I hope people reading this understand irony. Anyway, when he asked me very politely to move so he could get off, he said it in such a nice, almost wistful way that I had the feeling he KNEW that everyone was not sitting next to him because he was a large black man and therefore intimidating to many, possibly racist, people. That made me sad, indeed.
Of course, it's all speculation, but sometimes even the seemingly tiny encounters stick with you.
Living in DC helped me to get my city legs on after growing up in a medium-sized, pretty homogenous town. I never really "got" the city -- it's a strange place in certain ways, although it has its charm. I admit there was a lot to enjoy there. Ultimately I couldn't take the endless rat race and left. I think what got me was how politically correct and competitive it is as the seat of government and our nation's capital, the finest in the world striving to effect change...bladayadayada.
God, I'm in a serious frame of mind today, younglings! And apparently reciting from the Hallmark School of Cards. I apologize, and will now flush out the canned air and let in some oxgyen. We're all starved for that: why, there's even a cable channel by that name!
Speaking of TV (again...I actually don't watch that much, although you'd never know it from the way I write) I do like Conan O'Brien. What a surprise, if you've read my other blogs, me being Irish and Catholic and all, although I'm more mongrel than anything else. I think he's a pure-blooded Irish guy (Don't read into that: I don't attend any meetings involving people with the word "Neo" attached to their nametags). Anyway, he had Martha Stewart on the show, and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. She set up a bunch of "Halloween activities" for him to enjoy, like bobbing for apples, and he took the opportunity to flirt with her. It ended up with her blowdrying his wet shirt. Very, very amusing stuff. Who can resist sexing up Martha Stewart, right? I mean, I could, but you get the picture.
Ah, Martha. Please mail me a fifty, will ya?
Thus endeth the latest run-off from my brain.
Sleep well, happy campers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home